A large country garden in Sussex
The grade I listed farmhouse is on the periphery of the “High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty” in Cuckfield, West Sussex. The house was really exposed and the landscape was too open and needed more structure.
Therefore the main objective for the design of this country garden was to find the right balance between the garden surrounding the house and the wider landscape, so that the client can appreciate the landscape without feeling lost.
Description of the country garden
The farmhouse has been anchored in the landscape by using bold lines defined by:
- A formal garden on the west side with an orchard.
- A shallow stepped lawn falling away from the house with large borders of perennials framed with shrubs at the back.
- The formal framework around the house becoming less strict as we move away from the Farm house.
- The design is diluted: the straight lines become softer and more curved.
The stepped lawn provides a progressive opening out to the landscape, with selective, framed views.
- Large paths and wide mown areas through the meadow guide the visitor to the wilder landscape. The different heights of grasses provide a good structure without compromising the natural character.
The main characteristics of this country garden are: simplicity, authenticity and naturalistic.